Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook by Terry Pratchett #countdowntoHalloween2026 #magicalbeings #humor


About the book:

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach which just goes to show they're as confused about anatomy as they gen'rally are about everything else, unless they're talking about instructions on how to stab him, in which case a better way is up and under the ribcage. Anyway, we do not live in a perfect world, and it is foresighted and useful for a young woman to become proficient in those arts which will keep a weak-willed man from straying. Learning to cook is also useful.

My review:

This is not just any old cookbook! Oh, no, this is a cookbook wrapped up in old time advice, and good ole' fashion humor. I loved it! Nanny Ogg is one if the local witches, from a fantasy world unknown to this reader, that dishes out some fine recipes around her town that honestly, she has pinched from other people...um, and other creatures. I do respectfully use this term loosely.

The "dishes" if you can really call them that, range from deep-sea blow fish (sans the blow fish) to recipe for a cheese sandwich that call to order out pizza.  She has no problem describing the people that are contributed to these delights' sans at times, not giving proper credit.

In addition to this already humorous book, one finds themselves learning about proper etiquette at different settings and who is to be invited to such events. She is clear to say that witches do as they like but that others must adhere to certain rules. These rules may include a good ole' fight complete with weaponry.

Overall, I laughed out loud many times as I read this book and maybe learned a thing or two. I especially learned that if you meet a troll, do not shake his hand. Rather you are to pound him on his head. I will then have a friend for life! Make sure you always bring a good ham roll.

5 Pumpkins!

Disclosure: The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours. ~Michelle, Reading Authors Network

Where to find the author:

Amazon

No comments: