Monday, October 26, 2020

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Retold by Cyril Bavis #CountdowntoHalloween2020




 About:

Have you ever wished that instead of having to do your chores all by yourself that someone--or something-would help you get them done faster? That's exactly the way the sorcerer's apprentice felt one day when the sorcerer left him all alone to clean the castle--so he tried to do some magic of his own, and ended up in a bubbly mess! Ultimately the young apprentice finds that passion and hard work, tempered with patience and discipline, can make the most magical dreams come true.

My review:

Have you ever been stuck doing household chores day after day? We all have at some point or another. This is what happens to the apprentice, Tiernan, who has been selected to work for the greatest sorcerer of all. Before long he gets bored with this and decides to use magic, that is when everything goes wrong!

I am familiar with this story but for me, this one was cut short. true, it was made for a read before bed but even at that, I thought it could have been longer...think Mickey Mouse shorts...there was so much more of the tale that could have been added.

I did like the illustrations. The book was obviously made with a picture book in mind. The pictures were in your face bold! They made you feel like you, the reader, was right there in the midst of the story.

This classic tale is told as a series of 5 minute bedtime stories that certainly kids would love but for me, was a little bit of a miss. In any case, the story still gets 3 pumpkins and a witch's broom to clean up.

Disclosure: I purchased a copy of this book for my own collections. The views here are 100% my own and may differ from yours.  ~Michelle


No comments: