Friday, September 18, 2026

Mental Health and Me by Salvador Maldonado & Andy Glynne #review #teens #mentalhealth #guides

About the book:

Mental Health and Me brings together seven stories of teenage struggles, from body image issues to drug abuse, as experienced by real-life teenagers. First produced as animated documentaries by the BBC, each story has unique honesty and is brought to life with sophisticated, but accessible artwork.

My review:

This book is written as a graphic novel which makes it interesting to begin with. Targeted toward teenagers and those with mental health issues, the book follows along with seven teens who have very differing issues. The topics are: anorexia, self-harm, addiction, bullying, depression, and anxiety.

I found these stories to be interesting, and hopeful and the way they were presented to be quite more entertaining than a general blah kind of book on mental health. As a side note: I do want to note that the topic of bullying is not a mental health issue on its own but leads to such issues. In any case it is never okay but putting it in a "mental health book" I am not sure it actual fit. 

However, as a guide in how to recover and move forward after recovery, this book is not so helpful and fell short. Generally, at the end of each story, the "advice" was to see a therapist. Although good advice, some issues take much more therapies. What is truly missed in the book is that all people are not the same and it takes great effort to want to seek recovery more or less remain on a long journey that may take years.

Overall, I can only give this book 3 stars as I did like the way it was presented but fell short in other ways.

Disclosure: I obtained this book from a local library. The views discussed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours. ~Michelle, Reading Authors, Network

Where to find the authors:

Amazon

No comments: