Thursday, October 6, 2016

Review: Trick or Treat Smell My Feet by Diane de Groat #Halloween 5/31



Summary:
Gilbert's little sister, Lola, wants to do everything her little brother does. She wants to go to school. She wants to march in the Halloween parade. She even wants to dress up just like Gilbert --as a Martian Space Pilot.
But Gilbert doesn want Lola tagging along. And he definitely doesn't want anyone else to copy his costume idea. He's determined to have the most unusual outfit in the entire school.
My review:
Having younger brothers, I can understand what it means to have a sibling that wants to copy everything you do. I can also understand that sometimes things can get really mixed up and that you want to be an individual aside from your siblings.

I thought this was a fun book to see how Gilbert, the main character, treated his sister, which was with kindness and understand except when it came to going to school. There he wanted to be independent and known for someone who created something special but he finds out that maybe that is not so, that others may have same ideas.  In the end, by chance, it is his sister that helps he be that individual he so craves.

I loved the total interaction of the both of them and his love and respect in the end for his sister. The term of "Trick or Treat Smell My Feat" was secondary to what the actual book was about. Very clever!

4 stars



1 comment:

Jen said...

I was the little sister that followed my older brother everywhere. He hated it, but for the most part put up with it.