Monday, May 12, 2014

Review: When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Teacher! By Wigu Publishing


Summary:
 Carlee always wanted to be a teacher when she grew up, until her mother is hired as a teacher at her school! Some of her friends are even in her mother's class. Carlee is worried. What will her friends say? Will her mother do something to embarrass her? Carlee vows never to become a teacher like her mother, but as she journeys through the first day of school with her own new teacher, Carlee makes some surprising discoveries.

My review:
I recently received this first book in a series of books to review. This is a nicely done chapter book that follows the perplexity of Carlee who starts the first day of the new school year with her mother being  not only a teacher at her school but teaches the same grade.

Carlee goes throughout the day learning about her new subjects and how those subjects relate to real life events and people. She makes many choices too as she wrangles with the fact her mother is a teacher. I like both of these concepts as I feel children need to be able to relate the things they learn to real life and base life choices from them.

The book includes special segments not related to the story per se but to the subjects that Carlee is currently having in school and is thinking about. For example, Carlee is having art class. On page 31 there are related real-life people and a tib bit about them like Leonardo da Vinci. When she is having science, on page 43 there are scientist like, Marie Curie.
I thought this was a brilliant action on the part of the authors as the kids are learning within their reading.

The illustrations of Carlee were cartoonish and not that terrific but the cartoon character was put into real life photos which helped to balance the book.

I loved this first book and cannot wait to read the next three I have to review.

5 stars for sure.

Disclosure: I received this book for my open and honest opinion. The opinions expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours.

Where to find the author:

Facebook
Amazon
Goodreads

No comments: