Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: Ziggersnout by Dale Rensing...Illustrated by Guy Gilchrist and Laurie Tisdel


Blurb:
A picture book for early readers, Ziggersnout is a story about a little boy learning to skate who finds that things are not as easy as he thinks, but learns to persevere. With the help of the rink manager and the dragon who lives under the ice, Eric discovers that hope, faith and desire can work magic.

My review:
This book is classified as a picture book for early readers but I think it is more reading that pictures, which is okay. The story follows along the character Eric who is trying to learn to skate but does not want to take time to practice. That is until he meets the rink manager and finds the dragon Ziggersnout.

Ziggersnout is a dragon living under the ice who helps Eric to learn the basics of skating through his playfulness. Ziggersnout does not interact with Eric otherwise nor the other children.

The interesting thing is that the dragon seems to play a lesser role in the book that I would have thought. In fact, there is another character, a speed skater that helps Eric understand that if you want something bad enough, you have to work for it. The dragon in actuality is within.
-----------------
I found this book to be okay. The pictures were cute, colorful and added to the book. I did mention that the dragon seemed to me to be a lesser character than one would think. I also thought the book started abruptly and ended abruptly. Even though I know this book was meant to be as a first reader, I would have actually liked to have seen it a little longer.

In spite of the issues above, I would still recommend it especially for the child with a vivid imagination, likes hockey, or needs a little nudge.

This book gets 3 stars.
~Naila Moon

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for my open and honest opinion. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours.

Where to find the author:
Facebook
Amazon
Goodreads

No comments: