Friday, March 7, 2014

Review: Hope Learns to Jump Rope by Amy Cancryn


Blurb:
There's a new kid on the block, and her name is Hope!
Hope is a six year old all American girl who learns valuable life long lessons from her goals and adventures.

My review:
Hope is about to turn 6 years old and receives a  rope from her father. She becomes frustrated because she cannot seem to be able to learn how jump rope. The word, "can't " quickly becomes part of her vocabulary.
However, on one fateful night an adorable little fairy comes to her and tells her that if she believes in herself she will succeed. This changes her outlook and eventually she succeeds and even helps another little girl.
-------------
This is a short picture book aimed at 2-8 year olds. Each page has large illustrations with a box that has the sentences in pink that make the sentences lively. The whole book is done in rhyme and well written.

Some of the pictures are repetitive but that does not seem to take away from the book as a whole. I suppose the only issue I have with this book that it is very gender specific. With the pink sentences, pink dresses and pink everywhere this is a no-brainer as to what gender this is targeted for. This could be a turn off as both young girls and boys like to jump rope. I think I would have liked to have seen more of her Daddy's interaction with her other than the first page.

I was also a bit confused as the story starts out with her having her birthday party, candles and all,  then she goes out to play and then she comes back to resume the party. 

Over all, a cute book and a really okay for the author's first book.
I give it 3 stars.

~Naila Moon

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for my open and honest opinion. The view expressed her is 100% my own and may differ with yours.

Where to find the author:




No comments: