Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review: When I Grow Up I Want to be in the U.S. Navy by Wigu Publishing



Summary:
Noah is excited for the chance to tour a real aircraft carrier with his Grandpa Ed, a proud Navy veteran. He is not excited that his little sister, Marina, is tagging along. Still, Noah tries to be patient. Readers chuckle and follow along as the siblings learn that each deck, each crewmember, and each piece of equipment adds another chapter to the history of the U.S. Navy and its mission to protect our country. Noah and Marina's curiosity helps introduce readers to the complex and exciting work of an aircraft carrier and how each crewmember plays a vital role in its functioning.
 
 
My review:
I was really excited to get the opportunity to review another book from Wigu. I used to be a Navy wife and my husband was out to sea a lot. In truth though, I did not get to visit and see the real inner workings of the U.S. Naval ships. So, this was a fun read for me.
 
The cartoons of the children and Grandpa I found to be a little corny among the real photos of hard working men and women of the U.S. Navy. However, given that this is a children's book I can somewhat over look it. I suppose it would have been nice just to see the real people.
 
Aside from that issue, this book took a complete tour of a naval carrier and answered questions that young children would certainly have. Questions of food, sleeping quarters, and jobs were all answered through the interaction of the characters and photographs.
 
I  liked that interspersed history between the story line that tells a bit not only naval ships but also other ships and people that would have sailed on them.
 
An overall running theme to this book was that there are many people who have to work together on the ships to keep the operations running smoothly and to help the United States to stay safe.
 
This was truly a fun read overall and recommended for children 8+
 
5 Stars
~Naila Moon
 
Where to find the author:
 
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book for my open and honest review. The review here is 100% my own views and may differ with yours.

No comments: