Sunday, February 5, 2023

Guest Post: Writer's Block Spotlight: The Blood of Faeries by Dan RIce #YAFantasy

Picture
Allison Lee wilts under the bright light of celebrity after being exposed as a shape-shifting monster. She'd rather be behind the camera than in front of it. Being under the tooth and claw of her monstrous mother is even less enjoyable. All she desires is for everything to go back to the way things were before she discovered her true nature. But, after she accidentally kills a mysterious man sent to kidnap her, she realizes piecing her old life back together is one gnarly jigsaw puzzle.
When Allison's sometimes boyfriend Haji goes missing, Allison and her squad suspect his unhealthy interest in magic led to his disappearance. Their quest to find Haji brings them face-to-face with beings thought long ago extinct whose agenda remains an enigma.



Amazon * Goodreads


Hello my readers. I am hosting a guest blogger on my page who is talking about writer's block. 

Please enjoy. 


Writer's Block. Does it exist? I suppose it's a subjective thing. If you think you suffer from it, you

probably do.

My critique group, the Puget Sound Writers' Guild, had a resident writer, may he rest in peace, who

staunchly did not believe in writer's block. If you can't come up with ideas and bring them to fruition, then

you aren't creative enough to cut it as a writer. He could be hard, but he was a best-selling author under

several pen names, so who were we, his pupils, to contradict him.

Now, I won't go so far as to say writer's block simply does not exist. But I do think there are practices a

writer can implement to overcome it. Personally, I've never suffered from writer's block. For example, the

characters and plot for Dragons Walk Among Us came easily to me. It probably helped that I've been

thinking about some of the central fantasy elements of the story for years. Here's my remedy, or put

another way, how I avoid writer's block.

I start small with a one-page concept that lays out the story from start to finish in broad strokes. This isn't

easy; it's hard. It takes me numerous drafts to get the concept down to one page, but I think it's worth it.

From that, I create a scene-by-scene outline that I ultimately treat as a road map. It shows me how to get

from the start line to the finish line, but I can always take detours and side trips along the way. I find the

rough draft flows quite naturally from this road map.

If you suffer from writer's block, start small. That strategy has always served me well.

No comments: