Monday, November 17, 2014

Review: More Snacks! A Thanksgiving Play by Joan Holub/Illustrated by Will Terry #Thanksgiving




Summary:

The kids of Ant Hill are putting on a play about their ancestor's first Thanksgiving-when they hopped aboard the Mayflower and sailed across the Atlantic to meet six-legged friends around a big harvest spread. Let the show begin!

My review:

This book is essentially a picture book for children who are just learning to read and recognize words. The sentences  are short with only 4 words to each sentence. The book is also in rhyme of which the author excels at. The illustrations are large with facially animated ants with pilgrim hats. All these things I liked about the book.

However, I did have a couple of issues with the book. I thought the illustrations essentially looked like the same page with only a tweak to the next. I felt that kids might not get the pictures with the words.

The other issue I had was the story itself, although a cute twist on the Thanksgiving story, I felt the "true" story of Thanksgiving may be lost on young children and not understood in the least. The idea that this was supposed to be a "play" was completely lost as soon as the first page was turned.

I usually like this author's writings but this time I think it might be a miss. In any case, I still give it a 3 star reviews for the things I wrote above. I do look for more books from this author.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book for my open and honest opinion. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ with yours. ~Naila Moon

Where to find the author:

Joan Holub author Mighty Dads

Goodreads

Facebook

                                                                       Amazon

No comments: