Saturday, July 27, 2019

Down the # TBRHole...Cleaning Up MY TBR Pile Week 3


Hi, I am back for round three (for me) with Cleaning Up My TBR List. This is a weekly fun book linky hosted by Lisa Loves Literature. The title speaks for itself but here is how it works:

  • Go to your goodreads to-read shelf.
  • Order on ascending date added.
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopsis of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go

Note: Since I have reviewed many children's books and have grandkids to read to, I had listed a ton of books on the TBR list. For whatever reason, they looked interesting and I thought eventually I would read to them. 

However, over time and distance, that has not happened. Also, I have received so many to review over the years that I simply just did not get to these, never came across a copy, or did not get to review. I do hope to receive some more physical copies in the near future.

So, this week, I deleted a ton of books off my TBR. It is not that I won't read them or possibly even review them, it is just they don't need to be on the list until I do (or don't). I always prefer physical copies of books. 

The following list is what I removed. These were listed in 2012.
  1. How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food
  2. When Sophie Gets Really Really Angry
  3. Giraffes Can't Dance
  4. If You Take A Mouse To A Movie   (I have several in this series. I think I bought this one.)
  5. Dooby Dooby Moo (No longer interesting)
  6. Bear Wants More  (No longer interesting)
  7. Monkey And Me  (No longer interesting)
  8. Hand Hand Finger Thumb  (Again, I have many Dr. Seuss books. I can always add again.)
  9. If You Take A Mouse To School (Same as No. 4)
  10. First Day Jitters  (Past the age for this book)
I am sure I will have more as the weeks go by.  Here are 5 more all from the 2012 list I considered this week.



Synopsis: 
In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.

My thoughts:
Whew, dang that is a long title! Although being happy intrigues me, this is apparently book one. That alone does not make me happy. There have been a bunch of books written on being happy and right now, I am working on being my happiest life, which includes decluttering and cleaning out my TBR pile. ;)
Verdict: Toss

2. Wicked

Synopsis:
Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability, and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to become the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly, and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil.

An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Gregory Maguire just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature.

My thoughts:
At the time that I added this to the list, Wicked was revving up as a fantastic play adaptation. I was excited about this one and wanted to read the book before I saw the play. I also am a huge fan of "The Wizard of Oz".
Unfortunately, time has passed and I never saw the play or even got to the book. I imagine at some point I will read it but for now, I have lost interest. This is a so-so for me but I think My verdict comes to this.

Verdict: Toss


Synopsis:
 F. Scott Fitzgerald's third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story is of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his new love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted "gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession," it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.

My thoughts:
This is one of the classics that amazingly, I have never read. I have made it a goal to read many of the known classics if not all of them. I put this one on the list because it was not an assignment book back when I was in school. Therefore, I want to read it. Hmm...maybe I should attempt to at least get this one done before the end of the year. I am going to make it happen!
Verdict: Keep



Synopsis:
Sisters of the last Straw is the story of a group of misfit nuns who solve little mysteries. It is comical - containing lots of slapstick and pratfalls. While is is entertaining it teaches the Gospel lesson of tolerance and the need to help others. Written for children at a 3-5 grade level, it has delighted younger children who like being read to. This is the first of a series of books involving the nuns and their adventures.

My thoughts:
I attended Catholic schools the majority of my life. The nuns I encountered were mostly friendly but nothing like the nuns described here...well, except for one who said we could bribe her with Snickers...but I digress. Since, I think sisters in habit are someone hysterical anyway, and I love a good mystery, I am quite sure I will love this book series. 

This is a kid series and so I will enjoy this with my grandchild of this age level. 
Verdict: Keep


Synopsis:
Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden’s wealthiest families disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption.

My thoughts:
Back in 2012 this book was hot, hot, hot and I managed to secure myself a copy from a thrift store. As with many of my TBR books, it was put on a shelf to read later. In or around 2015, I had to abruptly move but this book came with me. It sat for yet another year and eventually, unread, was sent back to a thrift store. Why I never read it, I am not sure.  Since I never read the physical book, I am going to take this one off of my list from 2012. Maybe in the future, I may pick it up again and read it.
Verdict: Toss

Final thoughts: 
Well, it seems I tossed more than I kept this time. As I said at the beginning of this long post (thanks for sticking with me), many of the books are children's books. I did not toss  but 10 this week but I am sure there will be more as I am still not out of 2012.

I did add two shelves to my Goodreads which is pirate books and dino books. I have grandkids that are still young and one of them is a dino crazed child. Moving them helps the list.  So, now I am at 719.

What do you think? Should I have kept some of those tossed? Make sure to go over to Lisa's.

Happy reading,
Michelle

No comments: