Thursday, January 14, 2016

Review: Little Red Writing by Joan Holub/ Illustrated by Melissa Sweet



Summary:
An exuberant retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, in which a brave, little red pencil finds her way through the many perils of writing a story, faces a ravenous pencil sharpener (the Wolf 3000)... and saves the day.

My review:
As with many books that I have read by this author, her mind is always thinking like a child would. She sees humor in the most ordinary things, in this case, a pencil that is red.
I love this total retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.

The main character Little Red Writing takes the reader through her school as she is trying to write a story as an assignment for her class. The reader encounters all parts of writing in a fun way.
The book is cleverly illustrated in cartoonish like characters and all the class including Little Red are pencils.

I also liked the near ending which is a nice departure from some books when a "girl" character is the main character.

I think kids would enjoy the humor of the book while learning to write. I think it would be great for a bit older classroom although the book is targeted for K-3rd grades.

I give the book 5 stars.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my open and honest review. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours. ~Naila Moon

Where to find the author:
 

No comments: