Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: Can You See What I See? Night Before Christmas by Walter Wick #Scholastic #ISpyBooks




Summary: 
Scenes from Clement Moore's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas inspire twelve elegant and fascinating compositions where readers search for dozens of intriguing hidden objects.

The first photograph, "The Night Before Christmas," features a gingerbread house, Christmas cookies, candles, bulbs, and more. "Visions of Sugarplums" is an abstract composition of Christmas confections; and "Such a Clatter!" is a dynamic explosion of objects. In "It Must Be Saint Nick," Santa is shown in shadow; and in "A Bundle of Toys," the presents in Santa's sack are revealed as a magnificent jumble. The final photograph, "Happy Christmas to All" is a beautiful, pastoral landscape, lustrous under new-fallen snow. 


My review:
As I do with all the book reviews I do, I look up the author to see what makes him/her tick and what other books he/she may have written. In this case, I found out that the author has photographed and collaborated with another author  on everyone of the "I Spy" books there are out there. That in itself is awesome.

This book takes the traditional telling of "The Night Before Christmas" and breaks it into pages of fun-filled toys and games to look for. The objects on each page are cleverly arranged so that the reader has to go on a "hunt" of sorts. This is no surprise if you have read any other "I Spy" books. 

The photographs are clear and concise. Each page has large photographs with traditional Christmas colors in the background. I had a bit of a hard time finding items but the fun of this book is looking at it over and over.  The pages are two spread with one giving clues as to what to look for. 

Finally, the end pages have the story of the "Night Before Christmas" which to me is a nice touch.
The weirdest thing I found about this book is that some pages are upside down until I got about half way through the book. I am not sure if this was intentional or accidental, either way, it makes the book that much more fun!

Oh, and one more thing, this book is from Scholastic books, so I can be reassured it is worth children to look at and read.

5 Stars!

Disclosure: I purchased a copy of this book for my own collections. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may not reflect yours. ~Naila Moon

Where to find the author:

Amazon
Goodreads

No comments: